So you just bought yourself a shiny new or used EV (electric vehicle) and you know the most expensive part in it – the battery – needs the proper maintenance. The plain truth is the battery in your car will naturally deplete with each charge/discharge cycle – is there anything that will slow that degradation?
Electric vehicles (EVs) are becoming more and more popular as the cost of owning and running them decreases. However, one of the biggest concerns for EV owners is how to maintain the lifespan of the EV battery.
There are steps you can take to slow EV battery depletion
The good news is that there are a few simple tips that can help you maintain the battery life of your EV. Here are some of the best tips for keeping your EV battery in tip-top shape:
- Park in Shade: Parking your car in the shade can help to preserve the battery’s life by keeping it cool. This is especially important if you live in a hot climate, as high temperatures can cause the battery to degrade more quickly.
- Avoid Extreme Temperatures: As mentioned above, extreme temperatures can have a significant impact on the battery life of your EV. Make sure you avoid leaving your EV in temperatures above 85°F for long periods of time. This can cause the battery to overheat and potentially suffer permanent damage.
- Monitor State of Charge: Regularly monitoring the state of charge of your EV’s battery can help to ensure that it is not overcharged or drained too low. Overcharging can reduce the life of the battery, while draining it too low can cause the battery to suffer permanent damage.
- Avoid Quick Charging: Quick charging your EV’s battery can be tempting, but it can also be detrimental to the battery’s life. Quick charging can cause the battery to overheat, leading to permanent damage.
- Keep it Clean: Cleaning your EV’s battery terminals regularly can help to ensure that it remains in good condition for longer periods of time. This can help to prevent corrosion and ensure that the battery is receiving the proper amount of power.
By following these simple tips, you can help to maximize the life of your EV’s battery. Remember, the lifespan of your EV’s battery is an important factor in how long your EV will last. Taking the time to maintain the battery can help to ensure that your EV will be around for many years to come.